The Subcommission is an organ with members working in different areas of Marine Geodesy. The Subcommission:
- gives direction to fundamental and strategic research,
- provides for international contacts and
- disseminates growing out knowledge and information.
In Geodesy, Marine Geodesy is characterized by:
- the border crossing character (the crossing of sea/land) of reference systems and datums,
- the dynamic character of electromagnetic and acoustic information systems, and
- the specific sphere of work of the users of systems and information.
- Providing for the realization of an adequate reference system of the North Sea: the geoid, an international height datum, matters of definition of chart systems, etc.
- Stimulating the defining, the availability and the standardization of position bound and time dependent marine information.
- Keeping abreast of techniques for production, processing and presentation of data.
- Inventorying yearly the facilities for education and the relation between educations and professional practice.
- Keeping up the current national research.
- Making yearly an overview of international research programs.
- The tasks of the Subcommission are worked out in yearly working programs.